First of all, I am grateful to Facebook for reminding my friends of my birthday today. I am so glad to receive birthday wishes from a number of friends on my Facebook wall. I had hardly felt so cared and loved by people around me. Unfortunately, I am not able to respond to all the well-wishers individually. So, I decided to write this post to thank all those who have remembered me on this special day of mine.
It’s indeed a shame to say that I am still not sure the exact date on which I was born, because during those days, we didn’t have birth certificates and other means to record our date of birth, and most of the time, our parents would forget it as we never celebrated our birthdays. My father used to tell me that I was born on the 14th day of 9th month in the year 2037 of Nepali calendar, which roughly corresponds to 29th September 1980, but my census record shows my date of birth as 14th September 1980. So, I should say this is my official date of birth. Whatever it may be, it indicates that I have now successfully completed thirty-four years of my life and I am surprised how fast time has flown by.
As I reflect on the journey I have covered so far, I have realized that so many things, both good and bad, have happened in my life. I have created a rough list of major events that have taken place in my life till date, and it serves as a rearview mirror for me to look back to those days which I have already lived through. Following is the list of events that have shaped my life both negatively and positively:
- Lost my mother to tuberculosis when I was 4-years-old
- Lost my step-mother to the same disease in Tsimalakha hospital in Chukha when I was 8-years-old
- Lost sight at the age of 9
- Lost my elder half-sister to pneumonia when she was just 13-years-old in the same year
- Lost my 4-year-old younger brother to pneumonia not long after sister’s death
- Went to Zangley Muenselling School for the Blind, the present-day Muenselling Institute in Khaling, Trashigang in 1990
- My father suffered a mild brainstroke and got paralyzed on the left side of the body in November 1990
- I got double promotion from pre-primary level to grade II in the same year
- We started living together with paternal uncle in Samtse since the end of 1990
- Won the Best Student Award in 1991
- Got double promotion from grade III to V in 1992
- My father left Samtse to live with maternal uncle in Pasakha in 2000
- Got RGoB scholarship to study BA English in PSG College of Arts and Science, Bharathiyar University in Tamilnadu, India in 2002
- Got engaged with my wife in May 2003
- Graduated from PSG Arts with a gold medal in May 2005
- My father passed away on 11th Sept., 2005
- Got through Civil Service Common Examinations in 2005 with 4th position out of 329 graduates
- Graduated from RIM with Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration in December 2006
- Joined the Dept. of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Education in Thimphu on January 1, 2007
- Had a formal wedding ceremony in my wife’s village in Oct., 2010
- Got first promotion in January 2012
- Got Endeavour Award to pursue Masters of Counselling at Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia
- Graduated with Masters degree in counseling in December 2013
So, I feel today is really a day for me to celebrate my achievements while reflecting on the lessons learned from bad experiences. I would like to take a special opportunity to thank all my friends and relatives who have wished me on this auspicious day of mine. Thank you once again. I feel really loved and cared. I truly value your words and prayers.
Have a good day!